The IRS and the U.S. Treasury department have extended the federal filing and tax payment deadlines to July 15, 2020.
For more information:
If you are currently outside the United States and Puerto Rico, you may qualify for an automatic 2-month extension. See Extensions Outside U.S. & Puerto Rico for more information.
Filing an extension does not extend your time to pay:
If you are likely to owe taxes, you still need to pay by the filing deadline to avoid late fees and penalties. You must estimate the tax due amount and pay when you file the extension request.
To complete a federal and/or state extension:
- From within your TaxAct return click Filing
- Click the File Extension link
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter the appropriate information. On the screen titled Form 4868 - Filing, you will have the option to either print or e-file your federal extension only. State extensions can be printed later in the interview process.
If you expect to receive a refund (i.e. your total 2019 payments are more than your estimated tax liability), the program will automatically enter zero (0) for your balance due on Line 6.
To complete a federal and/or state extension on a mobile device:
- Click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then click Help
- In the search bar that appears, enter "4868," then click Go
- Scroll down to the section titled Jump To Links, and click on 4868- Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File
- Select Federal and State or State Only as appropriate for your situation. You must have a state attached to your return for these options to appear
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review your extension information